gemahon

Marker Symbol URL vs. Legend Symbol URL

I have created a combination chart (stacked column with line) where I set the line width to zero and assigned url image as a marker. The symbol image is a black rectangle approximately 60 pixels wide x 5 pixels tall. Unfortunately, the image overruns the legend and I do need to display this series in the legend.

Is there an undocumented mechanism to assign a seperate symbol url (mini version) to the legend vs. the marker?

FYI - I also tried setting "showInLegend: false" and using renderer to place small rectangle and text at the end of the legend, but unfortunately this did not display when exported. I also tried a similar approach with placing labels, but I could not find an appropriate ascii character to use in place of the symbol and enlarging an underrscore's font size also created issues when exporting.
sacrophyte

Re: Marker Symbol URL vs. Legend Symbol URL

I hope someone updates with an authoritative answer, as I would like to know as well. When I did something similar, I found a decent work-around by making the marker slightly smaller and increasing both legend.symbolWidth and legend.symbolPadding (which obviously affects all series, not just the one you are concerned about).

I'll keep my eyes open.
-- charles schultz
gemahon

I believe I am on the right track to a viable solution:
http://jsfiddle.net/gemahon/PQE8S/2/

I extended the symbols prototype with a long and short version of a bar, then referenced them seperately for the series vs. the individual points on the scatter.

Unfortunately, a couple of other issues surfaced:
1) The tooltips are not showing for the bars that overlap a stacked column
2) Exporting works fine in Firefox, but in IE the custom symbols are reverting to circles

Any thoughts?
sacrophyte

It is a dirty hack, but it works. :) I was going to suggest you play with zIndex, but see that you already accounted for that. I see you also turned off stickyTracking (another good thought).

I would like to see the Devs incorporate some kind of "watermark" series for things like "maximum" or "goal" or "threshold". I think they get really close with HighStocks (the 'candlestick' type is quite interesting). So I know they have worked on something similar, it is just a matter of blending features from HighStocks with HighCharts.
-- charles schultz

Return to “Highcharts Usage”